Friday, August 29, 2008

Chopin's ' The Storm' - The general tone

My 5th posting

Generally the tone in 'The Storm' is interesting as it gives us a glimpse of the truth as well as mankind's deceptive ways. The central character Calixta is earlier shown as a prim and proper wife yet, she becomes wildly passionate with Alcee and once again resumes her good wifely and motherly roles towards the end. For example, she sounded so concerned about her son Bibi during the storm but later she sends Alcee off- her lover, with a beaming face and even laughs aloud. We are made aware of how easily one is betrayed. Chopin is able to capture the human feelings truthfully and makes them transparent to readers like you and I. This particular story is a real page turner. Chopin uses irony to further emphasize the theme. After reading the story, I realized that the whole theme is pretty ironic indeed. Bobinot, Calixta's husband and their son, Bibi are out in the storm and she worries about them yet, she also enjoys her affair with Alcee. The moment Bobinot and Bibi are back home; she warmly welcomes them and says "Oh Bobinot! You back! My! but I was uneasy. We're been during the rain? he ain't wet? he ain't hurt?" (7) Part III. No where else is the irony clearly marked. Shrimps! Oh Bobinot! you too good fo anything!" She gave him a smacking kiss that resounded (8) Part III. That night, Alcee writes a loving letter full of tender words to his wife Clarisse and asks her to stay longer at the bay.(1) Part IV. After committing adultery, the two married people actually behaved so normally towards their respective spouses. Is human life as simple as Chopin's ' The Storm'? Shakespeare was right when he said, " The world is a stage and we are all actors and actresses".

You will notice that I am discussing about Chopin's work. Well, I would like to finish discussing about 'The Storm' first and then I will start discussing about William Faulkner's 'A Rose For Emily' and later, the whole module. I will tell you what I find about the theme in Chopin's 'The Storm' in my next blog. Have a good day.

No comments: