Saturday, August 30, 2008

Chopin's style of writing

8th posting

Dr. Edwin clearly meant well when he asked the students to post weekly because most of the students are working. Like me, I have to submit at least 2 postings a day or else I will not be able to complete the whole 2o postings within the stipulated time due to my computer breakdown. Let's come back to the real intention of writing my 8th posting.

I would like to talk about Kate Chopin's style of diction. The story is written in simple prose and it is easy to understand. Chopin has divided the story into 5 parts where each part is chronologically written. Chopin's choice of words can be said to be close to speech. The direct speech makes the story more realistic. Here is an example:

"Mama'll be afraid, yes," he suggested with blinking eyes. "She'll shut the house. Maybe she got sylvie helpin' her this evenin," Bobinot responded reassuringly.

Poor husband and son! They didn't have inkling as the beloved wife and mother was having a blast with Alcee, her ex-boyfriend.

Chopin also gives the readers a detailed narrative to make us see and also feel the atmosphere. For example:
The rain was over; and the sun was turning the glistening green world into a palace of gems.

I am positive that a lot of compassion with nature brings readers like you and I, close to the storyline, because we too have experienced a storm. Oops! Don't get me wrong now. I actually meant the mental state that we had gone through in the process of reading this story, Ha! Ha!

The only difference here is that the aftermath of no great a 'storm' is weathered so calmly by the adulterous couple, though this 'storm' has left an indelible mark upon the lives of the characters, whether knowingly or unknowingly, in it's wake.

I guess I stop here for today. I'LL BE BACK! Of course, tomorrow, with more interesting explanation and findings. Have a nice day and goodnight.

P/S: I notice that the time posted after publishing this post is at 3.35 a.m. 30th August 2008

I actually typed this posting at 6.45 p.m. 30th August 2008. Gees! Something is wrong with the timing.

No comments: